Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Super Secret

I have a secret, well several actually, but it's not the secret that I wish to discuss, it's the reason I'm keeping it that has me concerned. A scenario, if you will: You've been asked by a magazine to feature your creations and to write an accompanying article for which you will be paid. Do you scream your good news from the hilltops to anyone who will listen on and offline? Do you tell everyone you know, but restrain yourself from announcing it all over the Internet? Or, are you like me and barely tell your significant other for fear that the opportunity will fall apart and you will feel like an idiot explaining that to everyone?

I wasn't always like this. It took quite a string of disappointments before I reached this point of extreme skepticism. Several opportunities were presented to me and then fell apart some time later, leaving me feeling like a chump. This has left me, well, a little gun shy about sharing. To be fair, I've had quite a few good things happen in recent history that never fell apart including the above scenario where I was published in the Belle Armoire Jewelry Magazine, but I still refrained from sharing the news until the article was in print.

I happen to be sitting on quite a few pieces of information right now that have the potential to be great news. Even though I find this venue to be a wonderful place to say anything that I need to get out, I still can't seem to get the news out. Am I the only one that has not only a fear of failure, but also a fear of premature celebration? I can't be, I mean where did the whole, don't count your chicken until they've hatched thing come from? The guy that came up with that one must have had some next level disappointment befall him, so I'll take solace in the fact that I'm at least not the first person to wait for confirmation before being happy about something.

I bet that right now you're really annoyed that I'm going on and on about secret news that it seems I won't be sharing. Sorry about that, but I promise I'll let you know just as soon as I'm sure I won't have to later eat my words. Suffice it to say there is good news for me and you will eventually know what it is, I promise.

4 comments:

SarahKelley said...

I usually sit on news for a week then I'm like this *may* happen, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm not counting on it, but it was mentioned and that made me happy. That way I get share without getting my hopes all up:)

Sarah Dungan said...

I don't make official announcements until something is 'green lit'. Although in my 'real' job I usually sign agreements saying I can't make official announcements until the company has anyway. Its been my professional experience that about 1 out of 3 opportunities fall through for whatever reason. I can't tell you the number of jobs I've been offered in the last few months that someone has called back and said the equivalent of "er...never mind". I've just learned to not consider something a real 'opportunity' until its certain.

Waterrose said...

I just caught up on your blog after a week of vacation. Now I have to get busy with your challenge. I am also sitting on a lovely secret that I can't announce until late August...oh the excitement and frustration!

Mr. E said...

ive got a few of those myself and well it is definatly hard to be happy about something when you are just waiting for it to fall apart. i understand. i dont know if mom told you about one of them, and the only reason i told her is cause she was there when i was on the phone.