Thursday, May 28, 2009

Doodles

My minor finger injury resolved itself enough for me to pick up my needles yesterday and it's a good thing because I had an idea. No, not a new design, but rather an idea planted by one of the many craft fair checklist sites I visited in preparation for this weekend. I wanted to make sure I had everything I should in order to survive the weekend and I ran across a tip. One suggested that you make something small for the children to handle so that they leave other pieces alone. So, I made doodles and I NEVER make doodles. Small four ring butterflies, single ring flowers and spiders...for the boys.

They fly off the needles at a phenomenal rate, so I have dozens already completed. I still want to make more of them because I think they will in fact keep the children entertained and I know how much my kids like it when they are allowed to buy something small just for themselves. No, they aren't the most useful pieces. I've seen them used as appliques and I suppose a jump ring and they could be a small pendant, but the point here is distraction plain and simple.

I'm still stressing on the outfits for the weekend, oscillating between a desire to be comfortable on these 12 hours outside days and the desire to look over the top since I get so few excuses to play dress up. On the plus side, the corset training I've been doing ensures that I shall be comfortable in the most restrictive of corsets and the weather should be in the mid 70's and comfortable. Maybe I should just go all out...yeah, I still don't know.

I'll be pricing all my pieces today. I did a little price adjustment on the site yesterday to make everything a little easier over all, now it's just the physical labor of putting on those little tags. I made a few signs yesterday and gathered a few more things together, but I still have many details left to go over. The store will be shuttered on Friday morning to avoid any inconveniently timed sales, though sales have been slow lately anyway so it's probably a non issue. I haven't even thought about packing up the rest of the family yet...oye. I've got tot get to it.

9 comments:

AndiB said...

That's a great idea--I figure when I start doing shows I'll have a basket of little stretch bracelets that accomplish the same ends. Good luck with the show!

Sara said...

I've made several of those same butterflies for my princess. I'm pretty sure I've sucked a couple up in the vacuum, too.
I want to see pictures of your displays and whatever you end up wearing! Good luck!

dalij said...

I want one of each! I don't know what I'll do with them, but they are cute.

Sharon D. said...

I did a bunch of these as bookmarks for my great grandsons Kindergarten Class. Great for emptying shuttles.

salemplus2 said...

I think if you dress up, it adds to the mystery and feeds the fantasy, not to mention shoots your interestingness thru the roof. From what I have seen of you and your work, it just seems like you SHOULD be over the top. It draws people (customers) to you:)

Sarah Dungan said...

That is a really good suggestion. Frequently also, parents are looking to buy something small and cheap to appease their kids with for presents from the fair. So you make sales you otherwise wouldn't.

mica said...

I do hope you will post a picture of your outfit, whatever you decide to wear! I have not heard much about steampunk until reading your blog and I am most intrigued - especially by the clothes!

mermaiden said...

those doodles are awesome- i can see them on barrettes!
have a great event!

Gina said...

When my lace guild demonstrates at a public event, we have little tatted giveways, flowers and spiders and maybe even some catepillars, which mostly the kids take. It's an intro to lace-making, something they can identify with and hopefully instill a desire to learn lacemaking as a craft. It's also a nice touch to put on a business card and not much trouble when you're doing it all year long.

Sounds like it will be a fun fair!