Thursday, September 26, 2013

Curly

You'll be relieved to know that I did not clean at all yesterday, save for a load of laundry, but nothing stops laundry. Like usual the morning was mostly schooling. Once that was done I busied myself carving a sugar skull face into a faux black pumpkin with my Dremel tool. I'm sure I will eventually get a picture of the result to show you, but it was my first try and it was less than completely successful. While I understand that one is not suppose to be perfect at everything the first go round, the perfectionist gene is strong in me and it's hard to share when it isn't quite right.

After that I busied myself with a little tatted doodling. I've always loved the curly-q tatting that is sewn to netting, so I tried to make some up myself. Of course I have no netting, so I'm not certain what if anything will become of this, but at least it was tatting and I took a picture of it, so I'm calling it a win.

There were so sales in the shop and I didn't have any more bright ideas over the course of the day like I hoped. This was partly because I was staked out near the front door waiting for the UPS man to bring me our new phones. They have a nasty habit of not knocking and they needed to be signed for, so I hovered until they arrived. The rest of the evening was setting up new phone, having issues getting it activated, calling to get it activated and waiting forever on the line because apparently everyone else and their dog was doing the same thing. Customer service was however a complete pleasure to work with. It's just yet another reason it took 3 years before we finally upgraded.

Today I imagine I'll be playing with the new phone more than I should, but I'll still be hoping for some new sales to keep me tatting. Maybe I'll come up with something to use the curly-q for. I'm just worried about the stability of the curls. Oh, I'll figured something out and hopefully it will be a great day for everyone.

5 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

That is just beautiful! netting is really cheep to buy! love how the ends curl up like that. Most needle tatters work looks very loose to me, yours has never seemed to be that way. what do you do differently? Is it the thread?

Amalie Berlin said...

I don't know if you've ever tried doubling the core thread(you probably have, your work is always gorgeous and looks so -stable-), but I've had some luck firming-up squirrelly chains and big rings that want a little more stability with doubled up core thread.

It ends up a lot tighter without pulling down on the curves in a way that makes the stitches want to pucker. But you do have to pull the thread through slow and gentle or that whole pucker-situation can arise anyway :)

Vicky said...

LOVE the curly-Q tatting! I don't think I've actually seen that before. It looks fantastic! Lots of things it could be sewn to: tulle, birdcage veil (black, of course!), felt for a hair fascinator, etc.

God's Kid said...

Great design!! :)

God's Kid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.