Thursday, May 14, 2015

Bobbins

Well I was at the bobbins again all day yesterday. I just want to get competent with them and as I'm always telling people regarding tatting, there's no other way to do that than practice. This is the fan
headside pattern again, but much better this time. Though I'm still working it with the pattern blown up a bit, so the lace is generally too loose. Clearly I've still got some work to do, but it's definitely better than my first go, so I'm calling it a win.

After I finished one, I wound up all the bobbins again to try this more complicated one again. I completely failed the first time around, not understanding where I hadn't joined the thread properly. It was a complete mess. I'm still not completely sure of myself, but it already looks much better. All the threads are hanging where they ought to and that's already a vast improvement.

I'm going to try to step away from the bobbins at least a little today and get back to some tatting. I don't want learning a new skill to atrophy another one. Of course I did let tatting replace knitting, crochet, cross stitching, and everything else, but that's not going to happen this time. I am far too investing in my tatting. I'm crossing my fingers for some inspiration to float my way today.

1 comment:

Caseymini said...

I see improvement! Maybe after the bobbin lace gets tighter, you could combine it with some tatting? I would hate to see you give up either one. Looking better and better!